What to do if you fail your GCSE?

When you give your GCSE exams, you may fear about getting fail in these exams. There is nothing wrong with it, as these qualifications are an important factor when choosing your A-levels and getting into the universities. But what if you fail your GCSE only? There will be a great impact of it on your A-levels and university. Thus here we will help you to know what should you do if you get fail your exams. 

Quick Takeaways

  • If you think that the exam done by you was good and there was a very low chance of getting failed in an exam, then you should ask for revaluation.
  • You can also think of retaking the exam or any professional qualification.

Go on and read till the end so that you do not miss any important facts regarding it.  

What to do if you fail your GCSE?

Do you have to retake your GCSEs if you fail?

Your GCSEs are the first qualification that you will take as a student in year 11 and will end in mid-late June. These are important as it plays a crucial role in deciding which A-levels you will be getting after completing year 11. Therefore the biggest fear about it is what if you fail the exam. You don’t need to retake the exams but if you have failed in maths and English, then you need to retake them. You can also retake it privately if you want to. However, you will get a high-paying job even if you do not have GCSEs. Thus there is no importance of taking them again and again.

What to do if you fail your GCSEs?

You can do the following three things when you fail your GCSE

1. Appeal for the grade

Getting low grades or getting fail in an exam is always stressful. However, it affects you more when you receive grades lower than your expectations. If this is the case for you then you must appeal for revaluation in the exams. You will have to submit the appeal to the college or school and then they will request further to the board for it.

2. Talking to the sixth-form college

What to do if you fail your GCSE?

One of the next things that you will have to do is to talk to the sixth-form college. If there is just a small gap in your grades and entry requirements then you can talk to the sixth-form college. They may allow you to get admission in the exam if there is less gap. As GCSEs never expire, you must talk to your sixth form to take them along with the sixth form.

3. Consider changing the plans

This might seem a useless thing to consider but it is one of the things that you might consider doing. As a student, you may not be sure what subjects should you take. As a result, you might end up choosing subjects that do not match your interest. When you start losing interest in the subject then it will automatically result in low grades. Therefore choosing the interest that matches your interest is very important. If you already are studying it from a public school, you can think of taking them from a private school.

4. Retaking the exam

If you have not received good or lower grades then you always have the option to resit the exams. The only thing you must remember is that it is compulsory to pass the GCSE maths and English language. Therefore if you have failed these two exams you will have to give these two exams again till the time you receive a grade of 4. You will not need to pay for retaking them.

However, if you are retaking it just to increase your grades, then you will have to pay for it. In addition to them, you will have to pay for each subject that you will be retaking for the exam.

5. Taking up professional qualification

The other thing that you can do is to take up some professional qualifications. You can take up BTECs, IB courses, etc that are equal to the GCSE qualifications. These qualifications are focused more on practical skills than theoretical knowledge. In addition to them, there are a lot of short online courses available on the internet you can take up for yourself.

6. Doing an apprenticeship

This is the best thing if you want to quick start a career. It will help you to get relevant job experience and you can do it in any of the relevant jobs. You can do it in accountancy, HR, business management, etc. Doing it along with learning the professional qualifications will help you to earn money along with learning the professional qualification.

How can you resist GCSE exams?

You can resit for the GCSE exams in two different ways-

1. Resiting through the school

The first situation is that you will have to resit for the exam through the school. All you have to do is to inform your school that you want to resit for the exams. If you are scared that the school will not allow you to take the course along with your A-levels that you are wrong. You will be able to retake them along with your A-levels. Depending upon the subject and your situation, you can resit for them in the next year or the same year.

What to do if you fail your GCSE?

2. Resiting it as a private candidate

The next option for resiting in the exam as a private candidate. It is the best option if your school does not allow you to retake them through the school itself. You will need to register yourself with the boards as a private student. The only thing that you will have to do is to find out a tutor who can teach you online or in person. They will be responsible for the content available and will help you throughout the coursework.

Doing GCSEs in private will help you to get more time to focus on the other A-levels as well. However, you must know that as you will be taking up your GCSEs privately, you will not have school authorities at your back and you will have to do everything on your own. 


Your GCSEs are the important qualifications that you will have to study. They will help you in getting the right A-levels and will also help to get into the best universities. However, you might always worry about what should you do if you fail these exams. The first thing that you must consider is appealing for the grades if you think the grades are lower than you expected. Other things that you can do is taking up an apprenticeship or change your career plans. You may also resit for your GCSEs through the school or as a private candidate.

You may also like...